Skip to main content

Applying from Overseas

UEL is an international and cosmopolitan organisation in which to work and study.  We currently have staff and students from over 120 countries around the world and over 4,000 students from outside the UK enrolled on our programmes. The presence of international staff and students at UEL enriches the experience of students from the UK and all of us who work here.

Choosing to work overseas is a big decision, and here at UEL we will provide you with the information you need to make that choice with confidence. The link to our Benefits will give you an idea of the benefits available to our staff.  Using the link to ourUEL Homepage you will find details of our outstanding teaching and research facilities, our schools and services, and life in East London.  The link to our Staff Relocation Scheme will give you information about our generous relocation scheme.

Frequently asked question about applying from overseas:

  1. I am not a British/EEA national. Can I still apply for your advertised vacancies?
Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 UEL is a licensed sponsor for Tier 2 applicants under the Points Based System (PBS).  Under the PBS a Tier 2 job applicant who wishes to work in the UK will need to show that she or he meets the requirements of the immigration rules and in particular that she or he has enough points to qualify under Tier 2.  Tier 2 is for skilled workers with a job offer to fill gaps in the UK labour force.  Points can be earned in different ways e.g. for qualification, earnings, attributes and competence in the English language.
  1. I am not a British/EEA national but have permission to work in the UK for my current job. Can I still apply for any advertised vacancies?
We will need to refer to the terms of your visa as to whether the permission you have to work in the UK is transferable to another employer. Please see the UK Visa and Immigration website for more information about working in the UK.
  1. I am a non British/EEA national student currently studying in the UK. Can I take up employment with UEL?
Yes. However, if you are a visa student, in most cases the terms of your student visa prevents UEL from offering permanent work. It may be possible for you to work 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time in vacation. You should check carefully the conditions under which your visa has been granted.
  1. I am applying from outside of the UK. What will happen if I am invited for interview?
If you are invited to attend an interview you will be provided with guidance as to any arrangements the school or service puts in place for overseas candidates.  We normally reimburse reasonable expenses incurred for travel from the port of entry in the UK and accommodation.  Alternatively we may be able to arrange telephone interviews and video conferencing, as decided by the chair of the selection panel.


Advanced Job Search

Current Jobs

  Find Jobs by